Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Year's Appoggiatura

Celia Zukofsky constructed "A" - 24.  She took keyboard pieces by Handel as well as writings by her husband to construct it.  Four voices read from Zukovsky's Thought (critical prose), Drama, Stories, and Poetry while the keyboard pieces play.  I've almost finished reading through "A" -24, and it has started to make more sense to me.  It reminds me of the footnote chapter of Finnegans Wake.  That chapter contains notes on each side of the main text as well as footnotes.  I've heard people refer to it as one of the hardest chapters to understand in the Wake, but I tend to see it as a Finnegans Wake tutorial, with the notes helping the reader into Joyce's world.  Yesterday for the first time I started to see "A" - 24 in the same way, as Celia providing both a conclusion to her husband epic and a tutorial to assist the reader into his world.

No comments:

Post a Comment