Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Catullus 1

Roman books of poetry tended to opening with an introductory poem, often dedicated to a patron.  This post marks the first of my Catullus posts.  I plan to do one a week for a few years, except for Decembers, when I plan to focus on "A".  Louis and Celia Zukofsky did a version of all of Catullus.

I first encountered Catullus in the fall of 1983 reading Ezra Pound's From Confucius to Cummings.  Back in college when I got a cold I would often buy a book and/or record and go home and read.  In the fall of '83 I read I mostly wanted to get Pound books.

Wikipedia provides this version of Catullus 1:
LineLatin textEnglish translation
1cui dono lepidum novum libellumTo whom do I dedicate this new, charming little book
2arida modo pumice expolitumjust now polished with a dry pumice stone?
3Corneli tibi namque tu solebasTo you, Cornelius, for you were accustomed
4meas esse aliquid putare nugasto think that my nonsense was something,
5iam tum cum ausus es unus Italorumthen already when you alone of Italians
6omne aevum tribus explicare cartis1dared to unfold every age in three papyrus rolls,
7doctis Iuppiter et laboriosislearned, Jupiter, and full of labor.
8quare habe tibi quidquid hoc libelliTherefore have for yourself whatever this is of a little book,
9qualecumque quod o2 patrona virgo3of whatever sort; which, O patron maiden,
10plus uno maneat perenne saeclomay it remain everlasting, more than one lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment