Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Catullus 8

Well, sometimes I read the week's Catullus poem in German, such as this one:

Armer Catull, hör auf ein Narr zu sein,
und was du verloren siehst, das sollst du verloren geben.
Einst leuchteten dir strahlende Sonnen,
als du häufig kamst, wohin dich das (dein) Mädchen führte,
die von uns geliebt wurde, wie keine geliebt werden wird.
Als da so manches Scherzhafte geschah,
was dir willkommen war und dem Mädchen nicht unwillkommen,
damals leuchteten dir wahrhaft strahlende Sonnen.
Nun aber will jene nicht mehr: du auch, Schwächling, sollst nicht 
wollen und jage der nicht nach, die entflieht, und lebe nicht elend,
sondern ertrage es mit festem Sinn, bleibe hart.
Lebe wohl, Mädchen. Schon ist Catull hart
und wird dich weder suchen, noch gegen deinen Willen werben:
aber du wirst leiden, wenn dich keiner umwerben wird.
Ruchlose, wehe dir! Welches Leben bleibt dir?
Wer wird sich nun um dich bemühen? Wem wirst du schon erscheinen?
Wen wirst du nun lieben? Wessen wirst du genannt werden?
Wen wirst du küssen? Wem wirst du die Lippen beißen?
Aber du, Catull, sei entschlossen, bleibe hart.

It helps my German to read these, plus it gives me another perspective on the poem.  Edgar Pangborn said of playing Bach on harpsichord vs. piano, "Who want to look at only one facet of a diamond?"  (Actually, I don't remember the exact quote.  I think it comes from The Trial of Callista Blakewhich I read in the 1980's.  Man, I used to love Pangborn.)  (What do you know, Kindle has it for free.  I just downloaded it to my iPad.  Darn, I can't find the quote.  I likely have the quote wrong, or maybe I got it from another one of E. P.'s books.)  (No, not that E. P., not Ezra Pound, Edgar Pangborn.)

Catullus 8 made me think of that 1980's song"Drive" buy the Cars.  It has the line "Who's gonna drive you home tonight?"  I didn't know the Cars did this song, and I didn't remember the title.  Thanks, Google.  (The Wodehouse lover in me still wants to Ask Jeeves.)

Catullus 8 also reminds me of Pablo Neruda's "Love Poem #20," especially the English version by Christopher Logue in Red Bird.  Man, that takes me back.  In the summer of 1983 I started getting into poetry.  I read Guide to Kulchur by Uncle Ezra.  Rafi Zabor wrote an article in Musician about Mike Westbrook's version of Blake, which led me to buy William Blake's Collected Poems. (My copy has begun to fall apart.)  Then I got Keats's Collected Poems.  I still read a lot of science fiction back then (um, "speculative fiction" as I think Harlan would prefer).  In an intro by Harlan Ellison, he mentioned that Ted Sturgeon called Logue's translation of Neruda's "Love Poem #20" "the saddest poem in the English language."  (I think I have that quote write.  Please correct me at any time.)  I went looking for it, but I couldn't find it.  I did read all the Christopher Logue I could find and a lot of Neruda.  I lived in Tempe at the time, but visiting my parents in Tucson I went down to the U of A library, and they had a Chris Logue book which included Red Bird.  Hot dog!  However, someone had torn those pages out of the book.  I didn't find the poem for a few years.

Last year a college student of mine read the original Spanish in class, and his dramatic reading blew us away, even those of us like me who don't understand Spanish.

I found this English translation of "Love Poem #20".  I don't know who did it.

Tonight I can write the saddest lines tonight.

Write for example: ‘The night is fractured
and they shiver, blue, those stars, in the distance’

The night wind turns in the sky and sings.
I can write the saddest lines tonight.
I loved her, sometimes she loved me too.

On nights like these I held her in my arms.
I kissed her greatly under the infinite sky.

She loved me, sometimes I loved her too.
How could I not have loved her huge, still eyes.

I can write the saddest lines tonight.
To think I don’t have her, to feel I have lost her.

Hear the vast night, vaster without her.
Lines fall on the soul like dew on the grass.

What does it matter that I couldn’t keep her.
The night is fractured and she is not with me.

That is all. Someone sings far off. Far off,
my soul is not content to have lost her.

As though to reach her, my sight looks for her.
My heart looks for her: she is not with me


The same night whitens, in the same branches.
We, from that time, we are not the same.

I don’t love her, that’s certain, but how I loved her.
My voice tried to find the breeze to reach her.

Another’s kisses on her, like my kisses.
Her voice, her bright body, infinite eyes.

I don’t love her, that’s certain, but perhaps I love her.
Love is brief: forgetting lasts so long.

Since, on these nights, I held her in my arms,
my soul is not content to have lost her.

Though this is the last pain she will make me suffer,
and these are the last lines I will write for her. 
I wonder if Catullus influenced Neruda?

No comments:

Post a Comment