Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Baroque vs. Beethoven vs. Megadeath

I've declared Fridays "String Quartet Fridays" in my music theory class.  Each Friday we listen to some of the Op. 18 quartets by Beethoven and follow along with the score.  This got me to start rereading Joseph Kerman's wonderful The Beethoven Quartets and listen to lots of Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven.  Well, preparing to write this blog today I listened to "A" - 24 which Celia Zukofsky set to Handel.  After 73 minutes of that I find myself in a Baroque mood, so I grabbed some Handel CD's to take in the car.

My music history class focuses on thrash metal this week.  I find it interesting to switch from Metallica, etc., to Beethoven to Handel.  "Out of all this beauty, something must come." - Ezra Pound

No comments:

Post a Comment