Wednesday, February 5, 2014

My Favorite Day of the Week

On Wednesdays the Finnegans Wake Club at my high school meets.  On Wednesdays I post to this blog, so I read a little Zukofsky.  On Wednesdays I reach the end of my Weight Watchers week, so I allow myself a Finn Feast, using up my unused bonus points and activity points.  On Wednesdays my wife teaches a class.  I drive her to class, and during the class I get some reading done.  Tonight I hope to study a little Latin and music theory, start rereading Joseph Kerman's The Beethoven Quartets (one of my very favorite books) and perhaps finish rereading Shelly Brivic's Joyce's Waking Women.

Just now I read a little of Zukofsky's A Test of Poetry.  When I first read this wonderful book back in the 80's I noticed the deep similarity between Zukofsky's taste and Pound's.  I noticed this again today with the passages from Donne's "The Ecstasy", Shakespeare, and Yeats.  At first I didn't really feel in the mood to read this book, but I felt my body relaxing as I read the poetry out loud, and I felt my breath deepen.  Thank you Louis Zukofsky.

No comments:

Post a Comment